Intensive care unit admission has minimal impact on long-term mortality

Title

Intensive care unit admission has minimal impact on long-term mortality

Creator

Keenan SP; Dodek P; Chan K; Hogg RS; Craib KJ; Anis AH; Spinelli JJ

Publisher

Critical Care Medicine

Date

2002

Subject

Female; Humans; Male; Survival Rate; Adult; Hospital Mortality; Aged; Middle Aged; Outcome Assessment (Health Care); Survival Analysis; Analysis of Variance; Risk; Regression Analysis; Non-U.S. Gov't; Research Support; Comparative Study; retrospective studies; Intensive Care Units/utilization; British Columbia/epidemiology; Risk Adjustment

Description

OBJECTIVE: To measure the association between intensive care unit (ICU) admission and both hospital and long-term mortality, separate from the effect of hospital admission alone. DESIGN: Retrospective cohort study. SETTING: All hospitals in British Columbia, Canada, during 3 fiscal years, 1994 to 1996. PATIENTS: A total of 27,103 patients admitted to ICU and 41,308 (5% random sample) patients admitted to hospital but not to ICU. INTERVENTION: None. MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: Although ICU admission was an important factor associated with hospital mortality (odds ratio: 9.12; 95% confidence interval: 8.34-9.96), the association between ICU admission and mortality after discharge was relatively minimal (hazard ratio: 1.21; 95% confidence interval: 1.17-1.27) and was completely overshadowed by the effect of age, gender, and diagnosis. CONCLUSIONS: After controlling for the effect of hospital admission, admission to ICU has minimal independent effect on mortality after discharge.
2002

Rights

Article information provided for research and reference use only. PedPalASCNET does not hold any rights over the resource listed here. All rights are retained by the journal listed under publisher and/or the creator(s).

Type

Journal Article

Citation List Month

Backlog

Pages

501-507

Issue

3

Volume

30

Citation

Keenan SP; Dodek P; Chan K; Hogg RS; Craib KJ; Anis AH; Spinelli JJ, “Intensive care unit admission has minimal impact on long-term mortality,” Pediatric Palliative Care Library, accessed July 27, 2021, https://pedpalascnetlibrary.omeka.net/items/show/12835.

Social Bookmarking